As engineering consultants, here’s a question we often get asked – why should we hire consultants when we can hire an employee?
There’s no denying this is an excellent question, and there’s no doubt that this is on the minds of many. So, if you’re considering which option is better suited to your organisation and goals, below are a few things for you to consider.
The difference between hiring consultants and hiring staff
You may say – isn’t it just that one is an internal hire and the other external? Well, yes, that is correct. But there’s much more to it than meets the eye.
Things to consider when hiring consultants
- You get a dedicated team of experts with extensive knowledge and experience in the industry equipped to provide specific tailored solutions.
- You only pay consultants when they are actually working for you. Whereas with an employee, you must still pay a salary regardless of whether they are productive or not.
- You may have heard that sometimes you need an external point of view. Consultants can give you this and help identify any problems or challenges you might be missing.
- To stay at the top of their game, consultants must keep up to date with the latest trends and developments within the industry, ensuring they do not miss a beat – something you cannot always expect of an employee.
- Consultants will already have invested in and have access to the best tools and resources to help them do the job well. Therefore, that’s one less thing you need to worry about investing in, especially if you have budget constraints.
- You get what you pay for. Consultants bring specific skills to the table. They are experts in their field. Hence, you pay to get the best of the best on the job.
Things to consider when hiring an employee
- An employee has only one focus – your company and its goals. You have their undivided attention. While on the flip side, a consultant may work with more than one organisation at a time.
- Over time, an employee gains valuable internal knowledge and understanding of the company and its corporate values and applies that knowledge to the work they are assigned to do.
- If you need an extra pair of hands on a particular project, you can, in the interim, change the job scope for the employee and bring them to assist where needed.
- Whether your employee works an eight-hour day or an additional few hours of overtime on a project, the cost is the same.
- While employees bring some knowledge and experience to the table, may lack expertise and skills in certain areas. Meaning you will need to invest time and money for training and development.
- To help the employee get the job done well, you may need to invest in ongoing tools – adding to additional costs.
In conclusion – why consultants are often the best choice
Here’s a fact – consultants exist because there’s a demand for experts. Ultimately, when you look at the bigger picture, with the high level of expertise and resources they offer in a particular area, along with time dedication, agencies are the more budget-friendly, valuable option.
If you decide to hire an employee, you may find that you underutilise them and don’t get the best return on your investment. In some instances, you may find that you need to hire two employees with varying skills to get the job done.
Choosing the right solution for you
While there is plenty to mull over when deciding whether you keep your engineering efforts in-house or outsource to consultants, there are times when one solution is more suited than the other.
Which of the two solutions you deem most suitable will depend on whether you need a job executed by a specialist and done quickly or if you want a loyal supporter whom you can support in growing their skills over time.
In the end, the decision is yours.
Are you ready to work with the engineering experts?
Are you ready to experience the benefit of working with the experts in engineering? Contact us today to learn more about the benefits of Quartek’s unique solutions and services.
At Quartek, we provide a range of engineering services to the aerospace, land vehicle, maritime, rail, and energy sectors – with a strong emphasis on supporting defence and defence industry within Australia.
We foster an inclusive and supportive company culture that provides the most rewarding and engaging environment for our team, facilitating the delivery of the highest quality service possible to our clients.